Educational Opportunities: IRC Announces its Annual Dual U Summer Institute (DUSI)
Date: June 12 – 17, 2011
Place: Sante Fe, New Mexico
The Illinois Resource Center (IRC) will offer a five-day institute in Santa Fe, New Mexico, from June 12 to June 17, 2011 (Sunday evening through Friday) for teachers and administrators developing and implementing dual language, two-way immersion programs. This professional development opportunity is intended for all dual language stakeholders: administrators, teachers, parents, and school board members.
This year, the format of the institute is new. All participants will select one of two strands:
1) Foundations of dual language education for teachers and administrators
2) Focused Topic on Biliteracy: Standards, lesson design, assessment, research
Guest Speakers: Both strands will meet and engage with our guest speakers,
* Dual Language Education of New Mexico (DLeNM): Specialists from DLeNM will share their expertise in the area of literacy assessment in dual language programs.
* Dr. Sue Hopewell, BUENO Center, University of Colorado at Boulder. Dr. Hopewell is an expert on biliteracy development and is a lead researcher for the Literacy Squared Research Project.
* Dr. Kim Potowski, University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Potowski is an expert in the area of Spanish for Native Speakers and she has done extensive research on the uniqueness of Spanish in the United States .
IRC staff who will be coordinating and teaching the two strands include Karen Beeman, John Hilliard and Cheryl Urow.
For further information please go to www.thecenterweb.org/irc, or contact Karen Beeman at kbeeman at cntrmail dot org, or Nora Sandoval at nsandoval at thecenterweb dot org or call(224) 366-8555.
Educational Opportunities: IRC Announces its Annual Dual U Summer Institute (DUSI). NCELA List (NCELA@HERMES.GWU.EDU, 18 Mar 2011)